The Detroit Symphony Orchestra brings its 2022-23 Classical Season to a close this weekend with an ambitious and varied program.
Music Director Jader Bignamini will be at the podium to conduct three concerts at Orchestra Hall, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. The final, at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 10, will stream free as part of the DSO’s Live From Orchestra Hall series, with pre-show talk beginning at 7:45 p.m.
The concluding program includes Wynton Marsalis’ “Herald, Holler and Hallelujah!,” Richard Strauss’ “Also sprach Zarathustra” and Edouard Lalo’s “Symphonie Espangnole,” which will feature violinist Maria Euenas.
313-576-5111 or dso.org for tickets and other information.
Other music events of note this weekend (all subject to change) include:
FRIDAY, JUNE 9
• The Detroit Jazz Festival hosts a Rising All-Stars Weekend featuring a half-dozen up-and-coming players from the metro area at 6 and 8:30 p.m. and again on Saturday, June 10 at the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe, 97 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe. 313-882-5399 or dirtydogjazz.com.
• Irish singer Dermont Kennedy’s “The Sonder Tour” with Sasha Alex Sloan visits the Meadow Brook Amphitheatre on the campus of Oakland University in Rochester Hills at 7:30 p.m. 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Toronto rapper grandson is joined by K. Fly at Saint Andrew’s Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors at 6 p.m. 313-961-8961 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• The At the Drive-In spin-off Sparta celebrates the 20th anniversary of its album “Wiretap Scars” at the Crofoot Ballroom, 1 S. Saginaw St. Doors at 6:30 p.m. Thursday’s Geoff Rickley and Zeta also perform. 248-858-9333 or thecrofoot.com.
• Seattle singer-songwriter Damien Jurado performs at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, 4454 Woodward Ave. Doors at 7:30 p.m. 313-832-6622 or mocadetroit.org.
• Heritage hard rockers Quiet Riot perform at Smugglers Wyandotte, 1 St. John St. Doors at 6:30 p.m. Britny Fox and Siin are also on the bill. 734-530-1788 or smugglerswyandotte.com.
• The local trio Florence performs at 8 p.m. at 20 Front Street in Lake Orion. 248-783-7105 or 20frontstreet.com.
• The Los Angeles DJ duo Two Friends grooves at the Fillmore Detroit, 2115 Woodward Ave. Doors at 7 p.m. 313-961-5451 or thefillmoredetroit.com.
• Another DJ duo, Agents of Time, tops a four-act bill at the Magic Stick, 4120 Woodward Ave. Detroit. Doors at 9 p.m. 313-833-9700 or themajesticdetroit.com.
• The Justin Dillard Organ Trio is in residence though Sunday, June 10 at Cliff Bell’s, 2030 Park Ave., Detroit. 313-961-2543 or cliffbells.com.
• Marco Flores y Conjunto Nube en Detroit, along with Morros y su Reunion, brings south of the border to the Fountain Ballroom at the Masonic, 500 Temple St., Detroit. Doors at 9 p.m. 313-548-1320 or themasonic.com.
• The Depeche Mode tribute Music For the Masses pairs with Nine Inch Nails specialist Playground Twist at the Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave. Doors at 8 p.m. 248-544-1991 or themagicbag.com.
• The Cadieux Cafe hosts a Legends of Punk night with tributes to the Clash (Clampdown), the Ramones (the Whoremones) and Sex Pistols (Fabulous Disaster) at 7 p.m. 4300 Cadieux Road, Detroit. 313-882-8560 or cadieuxcafe.com.
• Regrouped heavy rock troupe Vulgara makes its return at the Diesel Concert Lounge, 33151 23 Mile Road, Chesterfield Township. Doors at 7 p.m. 586-933-3503 or dieselconcerts.com.
• Local favorites the Keynote Sisters play at 8 p.m. at the Trinity House Theatre, 38840 Six Mile Road, Livonia. 734-464-6302 or trinityhousetheatre.org.
• The Canadian duo Whitehorse (Melissa McClelland and Luke Doucet) perform at 8 p.m. at The Ark 316 S. Main St. 313-761-1818 or theark.org.
SATURDAY, JUNE 10
• The Detroit Symphony Orchestra and Chandler Park Conservancy host the third annual Sounds of Summer concert at 2 p.m. featuring DSO members and Marion Hayden and Friends near the northwest corner of Frankfort and Gray streets in Detroit. 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• Homegrown rapper Boldy James represents at Saint Andrew’s Hall, 431 E. Congress St., Detroit. Doors at 8 p.m. 313-961-8961 or saintandrewsdetroit.com.
• Outlaw country star Cody Jinks is joined by Whitey Morgan and Erin Viancourt at 6:30 p.m. at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre, 14900 Metro Parkway, Sterling Heights. 313-471-7000 or 313Presents.com.
• Anthony Hamilton sings old school soul at 7 p.m. at the Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre, 2600 Atwater St., Detroit. 313-393-7128 or TheAretha.com.
• Friends and musical colleagues of ailing metro area singer-songwriter Stewart Francke will pay tribute with an all-star concert at 8 p.m. at the Trinity House Theatre, 38840 Six Mile Road, Livonia. 734-464-6302 or trinityhousetheatre.org.
• Rapper Ozay Moore of Lightheaded and the Kris Johnson Group join forces at 8 p.m. in the Sosnick Courtyard at the Fisher Music Center, 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit. 313-576-5111 or dso.org.
• Rio & the Rockabilly Revival are this week’s free entertainment at 6 p.m. at Hotel Royal Oak, 811 E. Eleven Mile Road. 248-547-9770 or hotelroyaloak.com.
• The British indie rock quartet Omerta performs along with Moodring, Enemy of God and Backstabber at the Sanctuary Detroit, 2932 Caniff, Hamtramck. Doors at 6 p.m. 313-462-4117 or sanctuarydetroit.com.
• Detroit punk rock quartet Come Out Fighting tops a five-act bill at the Loving Touch, 22634 Woodward Ave., Ferndale. Doors at 6:30 p.m. 248-820-5596 or thelovingtouchferndale.com.
• San Diego alt/rock quartet Wavves, Cloud Nothings and Ultra Q play at El Club, 4114 W. Vernor Highway, Detroit. Doors at 7 p.m. 313-757-7942 or elclubdetroit.com.
• Tributes to AC/DC (Shot in the Dark), Poison (Ride the Wind) and Tesla (Psychotic Paradise) gang up at 7:30 p.m. at the Token Lounge, 28949 Joy Road, Westland. 734-513-5030 or tokenlounge.com.
• Caamp frontman Taylor Meier brings his side project Sumbuck to The Ark, 316 S. Main St., for an 8 p.m. show. 313-761-1818 or theark.org.
SUNDAY, JUNE 11
• R&B stalwart Jon B performs at 7:30 p.m. at Sound Board in the MotorCity Casino Hotel, 2901 Grand River Ave., Detroit. J Brown opens. 800-745-3000 or soundboarddetroit.com.
• Frances Grove headlines with support from Get Tuff and Phabies at 8 p.m. at the Lager House, 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit. 313-500-1475 or thelagerhouse.com.